Friday, January 10, 2014

What Does Retirement Really Mean?

As some of you know, I "Retired" in November.  Since then I have been asking myself the question, what is retirement?  When I think of retiring something, I think of Precious Moment's figurines. When the company retires a figure they are actually saying that they will never make that particular figure again.  I believe I remember my mother saying something similar, "They broke the mold when they made you Becky!"  The plus side to that statement is... it only makes that figurine more valuable, so there you go.

This retired philosophy got my wheels to spinning so I was asking my husband the other night about retreading tires.  Funny question for a wife to be asking her husband, don't you think?  What has retreading tires have to do with retirement?  It seems they retread tires by grinding the tire down to the core and then building it back up so they can get some extra miles out of the tire.  This makes the tire cheaper to buy and also can be why we see those big chunks of tires on the highway!  Didn't know this blog was going to be so scientific did you?

I'm sure you are getting the drift of where I am going with this.  I'm not looking at the next (hopefully) several years of my life as being placed on a shelf for retirement, but as RE-tiring (retreading) for more action.   And hopefully,  it won't take too much grinding away to get me there!  It will be fun to see where life leads and what adventures lie ahead.  All I can say to you younger women..."Hold on to your hats, the best is yet to come!"

Proverbs 16:9 says, "In his heart a man (or woman) plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."  A life verse worthy to be remembered!

Here is a recipe that I will never be retiring.  It is one of my husband's favorites:
MOM'S MEATLOAF
1-1 1/2 lbs of ground beef
2 eggs
1/2 c. bread crumbs
2 T. chopped onion (frozen, dried, or fresh)
1 T. green pepper (if desired)

GLAZE:
1/2 c. ketchup
3 T. brown sugar
1 T. yellow mustard


MOM'S MEATLOAF
Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, onion and green pepper together.
 Don't be shy girls...you have to get in there and use your hands!


Form into a loaf in a 6 1/2 x 10" baking dish or larger if you use more ground beef.
Mix ketchup, brown sugar and mustard together and pour over the top.

Microwave for 15 minutes for 1 lb. or
20-25 minutes for 1 1/2 lbs.

2 comments:

//
  1. I congratulate you on this phase of your re-treading: starting a blog! I hope you can keep up with yours better than I have with mine. :-) You have a lot of wisdom to share and I'm glad that you've found a way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! I think I am a frustrated reporter "wanna be". Perhaps it began when I served on the high school newspaper or reported to the local news about our school events. Then there is the time I began a women's newsletter in the church called "Healthy Homes". In any case, here we go!

      Delete