Thursday, January 30, 2014

Change It Up With Grandma's Coleslaw!

I would be remiss if I did not mention a few of the women who mentored me along the way.  So today I will talk about my "Grandma Lola".   I can still her say things in my head like:  "Can't never did anything!" "If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right!" "If everyone jumped off the bridge would you?"  She was a remarkable woman who excelled at many things in her life.  One was her cooking skills and I am including her coleslaw recipe at the end of this post.

My grandma sewed for several women in town, gave home permanents to several shut-in ladies, and had beautiful flower gardens. I remember cutting peonies, placing them in canning jars and taking them to the cemeteries with her on Memorial Day.  Do people even do that anymore?  She decorated cakes, including a 3 tiered one for our wedding.   Later in life she even taught herself to oil paint beautiful landscapes and flower pictures. I told you she was remarkable!  She did all these things plus canned tons of fruits and vegetables, fed hay crews that worked the farm, and kept my grandpa happy!  

I find myself being a lot like her because I like to change things up also.  One day I might  bake, one day I might sew, one day I might read a book or write a blog, one day I might make cards, or one day I might clean (notice I put that one last)! I think that might be the secret to being a contented stay-at-home woman.
I would love to hear what you do to change it up in your lives, so feel free to post a comment.   What I am saying is this:  If you are stuck in a rut....try something different!  You just never know what you have the talent for.

The Proverbs 31 woman was a very versatile woman.  She selects material and sews it (vs 13), she cooks (vs. 15), she's in her own business ventures (vs. 16),  she spins, so she must have crocheted or knitted (at least this is my reasoning for crafting) and she reaches out to the poor in charity (vs 20).  She knew how to keep from getting bored.  Here's grandma's coleslaw recipe... so tonight I invite you to change it up and instead of that traditional salad try this tangy goodness!

GRANDMA'S COLESLAW
1 bag of Preshredded coleslaw
1/2 c. white sugar
1/4 c. white vinegar
1/2 c Miracle Whip (do not substitute)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and serve.   This will feed a family of 5.




No comments:

Post a Comment