Friday, November 21, 2014

"A SWEET AROMA"

Thanksgiving is almost upon us, in fact I am having our family celebration this Sunday.  One of the things I like about this holiday is the sweet aroma that fills my kitchen.  Spices, turkey, and pies baking all fill the kitchen with the most delicious smells.  In fact I have a yummy apple cinnamon candle burning today, just so I can get into the Thanksgiving mood.

Did you know that we can we a sweet aroma to God as well?  II Corinthians 2:14-16 says:  "But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him.  For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.  To the one we are the smell of death, to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to the task?  (NIV)

When we gather with our unsaved relatives and friends, we can be the fragrance of Christ.  And who is equal to task?  We are!

I am taking a week off for Thanksgiving weekend next week, but never fear I will back the following week.  The Lord has been placing on my heart some new ideas for Christmas!

Here is a wonderful sweet potato casserole recipe that I will be serving Sunday.  It was given to me over 30 years ago by one of the sweet ladies in our church. 

 Joan's Sweet Potato Casserole:

ALL READY FOR THE OVEN!

3 cups of mashed sweet potatoes ( I used the can of cooked 40oz ones, but you can also use fresh)
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 lightly beaten eggs
1/3 cup melted margarine or butter
1/2 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon  cinnamon (the original recipe did not call for it but I love the taste of cinnamon)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Grease 2 quart baking dish.  Mix well and pour into dish.  Pour on topping and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

TOPPING:  Melt 1/3 cup margarine, add 1 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour and 1 cup chopped pecans.  Crumble together and spread over sweet potato mixture.


No comments:

Post a Comment