Friday, March 27, 2015

IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!

I am reminded this week of a great quote from the movie "Spiderman".  Uncle Ben says to the young Peter Parker, "Remember with great power, comes great responsibility."  The reason I am thinking about this quote is because my husband and I are taking on a new responsibility this next week. We are grand-puppy sitting!  Now to you who have pets, this is not a huge thing, but I was raised where the animals were outside, like hogs, chickens, and cattle.  Here is our charge "Daisy" a Teacup Morkie. Isn't she adorable?  I am sure before the end of this next week we shall become great friends but I do not take this responsibility lightly!






Even though I realize that I am much bigger and wield more power, I also know that she is the love of my three grandchildren lives, so it is my responsibility to see that their "Daisy" is cared for with the appropriate food, water, and potty breaks.  They however, are not fooling me, I think the real motive for this responsibility is because my husband has wanted a dog of his own for some time. Could this be a conspiracy to slowly break me down?   Hmmmm

All of this responsibility reminds me of our own Christian walk.  Once we except Christ as our personal Saviour, we have power given to us through the Holy Spirit.  Acts 1:8 says:  "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."  (NIV)   But also with that power, comes great responsibility!  We can't just sit back, do nothing, and wait for Jesus to appear!  Well, that may not be a true statement, I guess we could, but we would not be obeying scripture and miss out on all of the blessings that come with that obedience.   Here are just some of our responsibilities:

1.  We are responsible to study and know scripture.  "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth."  (II Timothy 2:15, NIV)  "I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word."  (Psalm 119:16, NIV)

2.  We are responsible to tells others the good news about Christ.  "How, then can they call on the one they have not believed in?  And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard?  And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?  And how can they preach unless they are sent?  As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"  (Romans 10:14-15, NIV)

3.  We are responsible for raising our children correctly.  "Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not turn from it."  (Proverbs 22:6)  "Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."  (Deuteronomy 11:18-19, NIV)

4.  We are responsible for being with fellow believers who can encourage us, pray for us, admonish us, and help us to grow.  "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching."  (Hebrews 10:25, NIV)

5.  We are responsible for our relationship to our spouse.  "A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay to his bones."  (Proverbs 12:4, NIV)  "A wife of noble character who can find?  She is worth far more than rubies.  Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.  She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." (Proverbs 31:10-12, NIV)

The responsibilites listed above are just a tip of the iceberg.    It can seem overwhelming at times, but when seen in the light of all that Christ as done for us, it should not become wearisome or seem like a chore.  As my husband likes to say, "We don't got to....we get to!"  My feelings exactly on "Watching Miss Daisy" this week.  I don't got to...I get to!  Smart man that husband of mine!





1 comment:

//
  1. She looks like our 6 lb. morkie except Molly has more tan and black. I am also grand -dog sitting a shitsu mix. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete