Friday, February 14, 2014

ASPIRING TO BE A DORCAS!

Acts 9:36-39 In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (in Greek her name is Dorcas); she was always doing good and helping the poor. About that time she became sick and died, and her body was washed and placed in an upstairs room.  Lydda was near Joppa; so when the disciples heard that Peter was in Lydda, they sent two men to him and urged him, “Please come at once!”  Peter went with them, and when he arrived he was taken upstairs to the room. All the widows stood around him, crying and showing him the robes and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was still with them.  (NIV)

This week I was impressed that perhaps I should strive to be more of a Dorcas!  No, I do not mean "Dork" (although I have been accused of that as well).  In our Sunday School Class, we have an ongoing collection for "The Hope Center", (a crisis pregnancy center).  As I was wondering what to put in in the collection this week, it occurred to me, "Well, you are trying to increase your sewing skills and you have some extra material, why not make bibs and burp cloths for those little babies."  So the process has begun. I have included a link to their web site for the free patterns.

The thing that struck me the most about this text was the reaction of the widows (those in need).  They were crying!  Sometimes my kids would cry when I sewed something, but mostly it was due to the fact that they didn't want to wear what I made.  I mean really, how scratchy are pajamas made from a blanket?  Yes, I did do some big boo boo's along the way as a mom! Wouldn't it be great if when our time was up, people were crying because we had made a difference to this world rather than them singing "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead!"  The babies and moms who receive these won't know who sewed them or how long it took out of my day to do it.  But there is One who does see and knows all. Also, I found it was a very good time to pray for whoever might be receiving them and asking God to bless them for giving life to their baby.  I guess my mentoring suggestion today would be: find something useful to do for others.  It may be using your talents with crafts, sending a card, an encouraging phone call, taking a meal to someone, etc. Whatever God puts on your heart, spread some love around!  Happy Valentine's Day! 

Here is the link to the bib and burp cloth pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment